Saturday, April 20, 2019

Do you have a number in mind?

Since 1996 I have kept Composition books on our savings/debt/budget. 
Our debit was much higher then our income.
We had two to put through college and weddings.
We both were at work and stuffed every extra penny into savings and debt.
Yes, we gave them a budget and let them roll with it- how they wished. 

In 2005 we arrested all of our debt, so it became our savings/ budget book.

By 2007 both kids were on their own paths. 
Savings were rolling for retirement. 

In 2014 I gave up on budgeting,
 having a basic idea of what we spent on what things,
giving each of those things a virtual or real "envelope"
and have lived that way.
The Composition Book became all about our savings.

In 2015 I developed "a number".
It is also the year we retired.
We also had taken our money out of the market
 and put it on the sideline about three years before. 

The number I came up with was using the base of 
"what is needed for the rest of your life" medical number
 that is often bandied around.  
At that point it was about  $250,000 for a couple.  
It has moved to $280,000.
BTW- our health care is relatively low in cost.
Thank goodness my husband stuck with the military. 

Then I had to figure that my income 
would drop a great deal if my husband passed before me.
The base had to get bigger.
I doubled the base.

For some reason, I just cannot get to that number. 
We are close, but not there. 

In fact, we have been just about even for about four years. 
We do save, a great deal, but we spend as well.
Our money is back in the market- as well as laddered CDs.
Even. Great trips, but even.

My thoughts are that, at this point, 
we need to be enjoying our income and interest.
At 61&68, there might not be a whole lot of years to just play.
Really, what are we saving for.
We already know we will never afford Tesla retirement communities.
That is OK. 
What do you think?
Even, save more, spend it all and hope for the best in the end?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete