Sunday, June 30, 2019

Do we need to save for our grandkid's college education?

My first grand will begin college in seven years.
Seven years
Really?

For the longest time we have considered
saving for each of our grands' college.
Then we think--what we could contribute
would be a drop in their huge bucket.
What will college cost in seven years anyway?

If we help pay for the first, 
are we on the hook for all six of them?

Our neighbor's last kid just graduated from high school.
He has ten years of college planned out.
Really?
I cannot even wrap my mind around that cost.

He has two older brothers.
One brother has a degree in Psychology.
He is working at my credit union.

The other has a degree in Economics.
He is joining the Air Force.
UGG- that is a lot of college for those fields.

My husband says this to me often,
"My dad gave me $20 and his blessing as I left for Vietnam.
When I got home, he was excited that I had figured out how to be the first in my family to ever finish college. It took me nine years to graduate. I paid it off by rejoining the Army!
They need to figure it out. "

There are so many things to pay for: education, cars, weddings (well those are not as common), day care, summer camp, birthdays, Christmas, new kitchens, even religion classes cost $200!
How in the world did we survive this long?
I guess I will go and start a savings envelope called college.
and they will
"get what they get and don't throw a fit".


2 comments:

  1. Who knows ... by the time they get to college, it might be free! But I wouldn't count on it. I'd say a little bit of saving-up is better than none at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say save for the grandchildren's education only if you're inclined to. There should be no expectation on your children's or grandchildren's part that there's anything coming their way from you.

    ReplyDelete