Thursday, December 31, 2020

Goals and why they are rarely written by me

 Writing goals is not something that is normal for me.

Been "flying by the seat of my pants" for many years. The last of "real" goal setting was in 1980.

 I was camping at Bryce Canyon with a young man whom had just proposed that he should propose to me. My guy was a student in International Bank Management and had just received a job offer from Melon Bank in New York. The catch was that my guy would not "formally propose" until he had the job and a house well secured. 

Getting married was the next step in life. As a "good Catholic girl" this was the goal. Right? Be a nun, be a nurse, be a teacher or get married. That had been my 1980 goal- secure that marriage. My guy was a nice person, a "good catch" according to mom. My guy would do anything for me, except commit. 

My guy agreed for both of us that we could wait it out. 

That evening a phone call came into the nearby hotel and my parents told me to call them ASAP. Really? Camping at Bryce and they found me? Someone must have died.

No, they had received an envelope and wanted to open it. Voices shaking, they announced that a position in Germany was mine to be had. Teaching first grade. On a military base. My mother had NO idea exactly where the assignment was, but she wanted us to return immediately and respond to the proposal.

No hesitation, I told Mom to forge my signature and accept. My guy was sort of silent standing next to me while I chatted into the payphone. Whatever @@ he wanted to wait, I would wait someplace exciting.

By late August, Flying Tigers winged me on a horrendous flight to Wuerzburg Germany. I dove into the fun of teaching in a completely new environment. Decent pay, good travel, fun friends....

My wanderlust was at full tilt. My guy would call weekly (sort of like those calls we all used to make to our moms first time far away from home) and reaffirm things were going well for our journey together. There was lots of "sure" and head nodding at my end.

My guy chose to take some time and wing over to visit from New York in mid October. I thought---finally. But alas, no deal. No ring. Just more words. My guy left October 31st. We parted at the plane. No fanfare. My guy said, "We can still wait a bit longer?" Sigh.

Sitting over a beer at the Officers' Club 6 November, the person who has sponsored me wandered over to my table with a muddy soldier. They had been "in the field" and were in for the night. We shared a few beers. Ohhhhh- those blue eyes. Melting was on my mind. 

20 November Lt Blue Eyes called my guy and announced that my guy blew it. I was going to be married soon- to him. Lt Blue Eyes hadn't asked me. Hummm. Interesting conversation in which I did not participate. Lt Blue Eyes took me to Garmish soon after and asked me what I thought. 

December 1st Blue eyes was promoted a rank and gave me a ring.  We were married in June, thirty eight years ago.

That is when I knew that I am best when flying by instinct.

Saying all of that

Here are my thoughts on what should happen this year.

Emotionally:

Find a Church setting that fits both my faith and social justice needs.

Work harder on our marriage bond

Figure out how to be a good, long distance Nana.

Health:

Lose some weight.

Get out of the house more often. Begin the 1,000 mile challenge of walking.

Financially:

Move all of my money from USAA.  It is time to let that part of our lives go. 

Establish a face to face relationship with my local credit union branch in Idaho.

Continue to weigh the pros and cons of beginning my Social Security in 2021. I am only 63.

Talents:

Relearn how to fish.

Work on my recent fear of water (I fell into the lake in Kansas and almost drown- that put the fear into me). 

Think about art more, try different forms

Figure out zone five gardening. Start both my garden and a community garden across from my house. 


The house and move are not in my goals. 

They will happen. They are no longer "decisions to be made".

They are totally fly by the seat of my pants now.....and my wings are moving 1,000 mph!

PS- I am sorry there are no pictures of My guy or that trip to Bryce. In fact, I don't think we ever took one picture together at all.....

2 comments: