Tuesday, January 3, 2023

2022 The year of standing still

 Twenty twenty two began and ended with COVID. That makes three bouts. First in Jan 2020 had me ill for months, barely moving, depressed. The second bout was easy, no more then a tough cold. This last one has my lungs in a twist, but I am mending. Yes, we have been vaxxed. We are old and I am fat. That is what the vac is for. 

In between we built a house with our own plans, sold our Delaware house in a hot minute, and hauled four truck loads of stuff to Idaho. There is no sanity amidst  the poverty and wealth of the overcrowded Mid Atlantic when the middle class just walks away. Here people are just left to live. 

I’ve learned a great deal about faith verses religion. 

I’ve learned that, if on one political side or the other , people will follow “rules” that they had fought for all of their adult lives- and white males who make lots of money off of them- just to prove the other side is wrong.  Logic and debate are no longer a reality in the educated world I grew up in. 

I stepped back over issues I have no control over. Child trafficking, human trafficking, child abuse, slavery. The people I used to work with on these issue no longer seem to give a coin. At first I could not believe it, now I have to not watch. Ignorance or ignorant I am there for now. 

Continuing my work in food scarcity, my eyes are filled with the 150 cars that come to the tiny food bank weekly. Still no touch, it is difficult to watch the loneliness and fear of the very young and not so old. Unseen. But I can help this. 

I’ve stepped up, gone to the ground. Learned, again, how to be self sufficient. Enjoyed hikes and arts for their own sake.  

2023. A good garden, ideas for gathering food for the food bank, plans for some trailer camping, lots of books to read, travel to see grand children,  time spent with my life partner in the ebb and flow of the day. 

Next week I’ll challenge my art teacher to move me from traditional still life to Impressionism. She will laugh. I will laugh. We commiserate over our 92 year old mothers. And then we will embark on a journey neither of us has taken before. 

And 2023 will begin with optimism and newness and challenges. I hope yours does as well. 

2 comments:

  1. I hear you about 2022 being one of standing still. I referred to it as coasting and pack wood/carry water, just doing the everyday things. Here's to optimism, newness & challenges. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year. My husband and I are the only people we know who have not gotten covid once. Our time is running out I suppose. I am back to wearing a mask. Neither of us can survive it. Espeically him with his lung issues. We are chubby and have autoimmune diseases so we are their target right? I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete