Friday, July 5, 2019

Celebrating the country

After a week of three:
new tires,
new dishwasher,
new roof

My husband was surprised when I boarded the bus to DC
 for the birthday party!

We drove through loads of corn, soy and wheat fields. 
Sweltering, but beautiful.

Across the Chesapeake
into the Frey.

Celebrating means remembering to me.
First stop, the movie on the Rim Pac 
Carrier - on the IMax.
Then a quick visits to my favorite 
air vehicles
A quick jaunt across the humid mall
I visited a number of my old friends
Then down the mall to see a parade with a million of my nearest and dearest
It was fun to count the number of languages
I heard spoken
32 (that I could distinguish).

I always remember Mary Todd Lincoln on this day.
Such a difficult life
Her family was southern
and her husband lead the north
What did she think about being an "American"?
The Smithsonian has a wonderful new area in the Natural History Museum
It is all about the process
Here is something from our newest state-
how those amazing capes are made.
They are also highlighting ether's work. Not the stiff Smithsonian of the past.
The rains came and went.
Actually the heavy rain went, the light rain hung out
With my trusty IKEA poncho
I ventured out to find a place for the fly over.
This is half the crowd. 
By nightfall, there was not one space on the grass 
from the Capitol to the Lincoln (5.5 miles).
Every walk of life and political POV on display
The flyover did not disappoint.



The Fireworks were great at the beginning,
but the humidity held them down 
And then it was back to the bus for the journey home.

Sometimes I forget where I live
I long to travel,
but there is so much to see here.
I love this country
and, after visiting over 25 others,
I would not choose another.

Happy Birthday USA!

2 comments:

  1. There are no fireworks like those on the mall...we used to go to the marine barracks and have a picnic and watch all the boats come in before the fireworks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err navy yard. Barracks had twilight tattoo.

    ReplyDelete