Friday, April 17, 2020

A Green State in a Sea of Red

Delaware is tiny state.  Under a million in population
Two Senators, one representative.
We got our first larger  COVID tests two weeks ago.
Yup, we are back burner.

The center part of the state is farming
The lower part is active retirement, beaches and farming.
The top is connected to the other metroplexes of  I-95.

So here we are:
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/main.html
See that tiny spot of green between the states in deep poo poo?
Yup, that is where I live. Tiny green in the Mid Atlantic states.
Our governor has decided to be a part of the red coalition. 
I get it, 
He is afraid of telling people they cannot come to the beach if we open up. 
Those PA and NJ drivers would be here in a minute. 
So, we stay under house arrest.

Here is the catch.
 Many of our worker bees for the farms and product factories (read chickens)
live in the state next to us--that would be Maryland. 
And, currently, there is a no travel order between the two.
If you are in the upper East Coast
you probably eat Delaware Chicken.
But not for long. The factories are closing for lack of workers.
Soon will be strawberry harvest time....
Aggg!
I don't mind staying home. I have gotten the hang of it.
I have an income and plenty of savings.
But my hair salon is closed for good as of the 1st
and my country farm will not have picking until "we" open.
I actually hope my church closes for good so they will stop asking me for money to keep closed. 

5 comments:

  1. I think churches still need money and pledges have fallen behind. My church still needs to pay the mortgage, salaries, some utilities even though buildings are mainly closed (we stream services all the time weekly and weekend). And of course the church supports multiple homeless organizations in real need now. So our rector reminds us we can pay pledges online on sundays and some weekdays. Plus there is no plate passing obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My particular church has stopped almost all services. They depend, entirely, on volunteers to do anything with the poor. Their staff does not even answer phones. Really, I am not sure why they exist except to collect money.
      I've disenrolled and joined a church that has an active ministry. I am sending them my money electronically. I'll start attending there when the quarantine lifts.

      Delete
  2. I'm married, so I don't mind staying home either, yet I wouldn't want it to go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got our first notice of a permanent store closure in our PA town. I hope it doesn't become a common thing. We've purchased several gift cards to local restaurants so they can get the cash now, and we can look forward to a nice meal in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are about to see the complete take over of large box everything.

      Delete