Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Are you good with color? I am not.

My daughter in law thinks nothing of painting rooms in their house at the drop of a hat.

After renting for the entire first half of our marriage, we seem to live what ever color we start with.

The one exception was a house we bought, soon after retirement, painted with pinks and greens. Whew! We neutralized that house and made $20,000 when we sold it 16 months later!

We have spent many hours thinking of the colors we want to live with in Idaho.

There are some challenges. I love the sea colors- blues and grey and whites. 

But, when you live in Idaho, those are cold colors. 



Burrrrrrr.



The outside of the house is going to be the darker Blue with white trims.

The inside, I am just not sure.

Open floor living areas, office space, bedrooms, mudroom, entry.

Should I go many colors or just one?

My first choice was all over :




Now I am thinking?

Zones? 

You would think at this age I would know how to work with color.

I do know the movie rooms will be forest green with ??? trim.

Any ideas would be welcome! 

Here are the three things I know will hang in the house....




Master  quilt for wall

Living area painting

6'x6'




and 



Kitchen granite

11 comments:

  1. It may be out of your comfort some but Iw ould suggest a very warm turqouise would go well with all three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm turquoise. I was thinking there should be one color that would run through most of the rooms. I've thought, seriously, of turquoise for my master, then around the master mirrors in the bathroom. The bookcases in the main room- turquoise on the back of the shelving. Turquoise trim in the entry.....Yes, I think I can talk my husband into it. We might have to really look at how it can pull the house together. Is "In the Tropics" by Benjamin Moore close to what you are thinking?

      Delete
    2. That's a beautiful turquoise to add a pop to your rooms and it certainly goes with the quilt, painting, and countertops. I can't wait to see what you decide!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Christina. Decisions, decisions.

      Delete
    4. that sounds like it, but yes. maybe even something pulled from that hanging if it is warm enough?

      Delete
  2. My personal preference is all walls a neutral color so the wall color fades in the background and the things hanging on the wall are accentuated. I also like the simplicity of maintenance with all one color, no labeling and storing multiple colors for touchups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that. We are trying hard to match colors in our present home. OW! A different color on every wall. It is pretty, but hard to repair!

      Delete
  3. basalt powder by sherwin-Williams. You won't be sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT color. It is on my list to get a sample of. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I like your kitchen granite ... trust your own taste, it's better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tom. I just don't "feel" any of these colors. AGGGG!

    ReplyDelete