Monday, March 8, 2021

Passings

Passings

Grand children grow older and taller. They need you less, but want the contact. This type of passing gives move space for each to develop an individuality that is so important in life. My oldest grandson is in his teens now, and is over six feet tall. He does school at home, like the rest of my school aged grands, but his heart is with his friends. 

Mothers grow elderly and more frail. They need you more and want more contact. This type of passing takes more space for dependency to grow and develop, so important in life. My mother is 90 and clear minded, but her body fails her more every day. She moves to a care house tomorrow.

Aunts fall and become dependent, but fierce. Contact is important, but on the side since they have their own family to care for. It is a passing for memories. Favorite Aunts are integral in the fabric of our souls. My MiMi is 92 and broke her hip in California. Recovery is not going well. 

Homes become houses again. This type of passing becomes problematic because being unstable is time consuming and, at times, heart wrenching. It demands loads of time and interface with people who are busy while you have been settled. Our house goes on the market today.

Nephews pass to the next life. This type of passing is marked with fear, doubt, pain and hope. Strength and courage marks this type of passing. Exhaustion as well. Brad passed away at the beginning of last month.

Life is a series of slow, slow, quick, quick. My father told me that many years ago when he taught me to Fox trot before my debutant ball. I could not comprehend slow. My life was full of fun and travel and friends and family. Quick, quick season.

But, collectively,  we have had a season and now another emerges. 

Slow, slow. Rarely going out. Rarely interfacing with other humans besides my husband. Rarely finding joy.

Now it is quick, quick.

Passings


1 comment:

  1. Your post hits home. I have lost both parents and all aunts and uncles except one on each side of my parents family. My wife and I are just getting started in the grandchildren phase and have only one granddaughter about to turn 2. I know in the blink of an eye she will be in her teens and have her own life of friends and activities. We can only try to enjoy the moment at hand and savor it as best we can.

    ReplyDelete