Sunday, February 17, 2019

Packing challenge

My husband has been wondering about my ever
increasing joy when the door bell rings
with another Amazon package.

Packing cubes, they are an obsession.
Why were these not present when we moved our family overseas
twice
with suitcases
and little else?

We called one of our suitcases "Big Blue".
The current, smaller version of Big Blue.

She was about 35 inches
and often weighed in at 80 lbs!
After 10 major moves
(three with my son and his family)
Big Blue finally went to suitcase heaven- GoodWill.
(We think we saw her on the bottom of a grocery cart downtown.)
In those days I found huge bags that I
 could pretend to squeeze air out of
and fill each suitcase as if it were a dresser.
That is how it was used for six to twenty weeks.

But I digress.

Packing cubes.
It has been twenty years since we last traveled, together.
In my wisdom, we choose to carry on everything we can.
E bag of choice weighs almost nine pounds.
Choosing organization is heavy.
The suit cases have to be
under 22 inches and 35 lbs.
Twenty-one inches and
under 25 lbs
 since my husband chooses to let me
be the feminist
and lift my own case.
(Water workouts are helping that range of motion.)




There are many different packing ideas for these bags.
Don't worry, You Tube provided me with
hours of enjoyment - reviews and ideas.
Do you have any idea how many You Tube Travel channels there are?

And so the quest for packing cubes began.

Rick Steves Cubes
Rick Steves. He is the king of light travel.
Watching his presentations, I am amazed.
He does one set of shoes and, well, not much else.
The cubes were a gift from my son.
He had used them in Thailand.
They are well vented
(after living in Hong Kong,
I appreciated the air flow).
They were awkward for me otherwise.
They now live in the "in case someone needs these" Rubbermaid bin downstairs.

Found on Black Friday on Amazon
for half price.
E bags has ultra light cubes. They are made of rip stop material and ARE very light.
Shaped for E Bag luggage, a big plus.
Expensive?  I bought one set and sent them back,
could not justify the expense. Suddenly there was Black Friday!
The smaller ones are keepers. Three of them live in my suitcase now. They contain my coat, rain jacket, nightgown and sweater.
One is in my "personal item" with my compression socks, scarf and skirt. Sturdy. Not going anywhere.
I sprung for their small toiletry bag as well-
for everyone in the family- LOL. Black Friday rules!
Easy to unpack and pack.
The bigger ones live in the Rubbermaid bin.
Yes, it was cheaper to buy the set!

IKEA packing cubes, bought in a set of three
Now sold in a set of six. 


These are thin and...IKEA!
Ah, the Swedes think of everything
First Aide kit, ultra light sandals, and snacks.
None live in the Rubbermaid bucket.







The last sets are Eagle Creek.
Wow! These puppies were pricy
until the PX decides to end the relationship and
they go on ultra sale!!!!

Eagle Creek compression cubes.
Found on ultra sale.


Compression cubes.They zip down your stuff.
I am not a small woman.
My stuff is rather large. OK- large.
So....I gave it a try.
Small- swim suit and micro towel
Medium- Cold: four long sleeved shirts, a pair of pants, four pr socks and undies.
Medium- Warm: Three short sleeved blouses, convertible pants, undies and socks.
These are AMAZING. They zip stuff down, big time!

There is one small left over.
It lives in my husband's suitcase. (Don't ask, don't tell)

Eagle Creek Specter half cube
One last glance at the sale board the other day- bingo!
This, not a compression, bag ended up in my basket.
It is perfect for ALL of my electronics.
This dandy slips in my personal item like a champ.
The kindle, I pad and phone.
Why bother?
When you get to the airport,
you will understand.



And with that, my packing cube (and Amazon package) obsession
has come to an end.
My husband is SO happy it is over!

What is in that clearance rack over there?

No comments:

Post a Comment