Thursday, May 23, 2019

Starting at 65

My mother turns 89 this year.
Her sisters are 90 and 92.
They all had lives filled with children, grandchildren, husbands, birthday parties, tennis, gardening and various "committee work." Only the middle one worked after marriage---and that was to help make ends meet after her husband died almost twenty years ago. 
They had one sister who died at 60 
and their older brother died at 86.

What does that mean to me?
Once I hit 65 my chances to living to 100 are pretty good. 

That means I have the time to start again.
Moving to Idaho

How about opening a senior travel company?
Budget, senior friendly travel is coming of age.
The "old" agents make good money off of 
the really rich.
How about us, who just want a slow travel 
with bumpers?
We have traveled much of the Northern Hemisphere.

Something to just keep me sharp.
Don't get me wrong
I love the freedom of just being
and learning 
and enjoying
but is it time for an encore?
I have about 25 years to go!

7 comments:

  1. Do you boomers realize how universally hated you are? There is not one single demographic that does not hate you- white people, black people, asians, mexicans, indians, chinese, millennials, GenX, GenZ. Something tells me that you boomers are not going to have a very comfortable or easy retirement, especially once you end up in the retirement homes.

    Can you baby boomers hurry up and fucking drop dead? Enjoy your retirement homes cause we younger people will not take care of you even if we wanted to, due to the shitty economy you boomers created. Do you boomers realize that the younger generation is simply waiting for you to fucking drop dead?

    You are all going to end up in retirement homes and we all know that the elderly gets treated pretty badly in retirement homes. Well, that's what you get for ruining your own children's lives. Even if your children WANTED to take care of you, they couldn't, due to you boomers destroying the economy. So I hope you enjoy the retirement homes, boomer scum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janette!
    Turn off your anonymous comments! There are too many deranged people out there! An encore career sounds awesome in this BOOMING economy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for looking after me Sharon.
    I get it. I am leaving it. No Russian bot is going to cut off dialogue on my board. I realize that many have turned off comments- but that only hurts those of us who cannot sign in for one reason or another (I don't sign in on public computers).
    First they stirred up racial issues, then political and now generational. I am just not giving in. Look at the initial grammar of these comments. Look at the selective use of profanity. Look that they find a blog that has a roll and then says the same thing over and over.
    Totally a Russian bot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for moving ever forward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your retirement my husband 78 and me 68 have been retired for nearly 20 years. I grew up in the UK in the fifties when nothing was available bought a house when interest rates were up to 16% left the UK in 1982 with two babies when my husband lost his job because of political policies.I don't feel butter that's life. We are enjoying a great retirement and Regards will die with our boots on.

    ReplyDelete