Saturday, September 7, 2019

What does it look like?

This morning I was wandering in my backyard.
Butterflies are plentiful right now
and the hibiscus are all blooming.

My sweep of the asparagus gave me a stem or two to enjoy.
Peppers are still producing. 

 The mint is enjoying the last rains
Even the caterpillars are trying to get in on the last of the carrot and dill tops.
The spinach and broccoli need to get into the ground
Soon!
And yet
I keep thinking,
What will it look like in 2040?

My daughter was discussing parking at the high school in six years. 

I blurted out that the e car would probably drop him off and then pick him up after to take him to his apprenticeship with the computer place he will be working at. She laughed. I remind her that she wears a computer on her arm and Alexa keeps her organized.

What will it look like when my grandchildren all "leave the nest"?
Two of the six grands plan on living in space full time.
One wants to be a ballerina (3 year olds...)
The oldest grand would like to be a geneticist.
Heck, I did not know what that was when I was 11!

2040? 
We are planning on robots/AI to be an intricate part of our household.  Who cares about privacy?
We will be on our way to our 90s and life will be pretty sweet.
 We will chat, Jetson style, with our "kids" daily. 
They will know our house will keep us safe- monitoring our bp, weight, and food consumption. Between our e car and no grocery shopping, we will have even more time to garden and woodwork. 
Our grands will visit us and wonder, even louder, why we bother. 
But the butterflies will be flying
and the mint will be blooming
and the asparagus will be just right for the grill. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to speculate ... but will we create our own asparagus with our 3D printer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. THEY will be printing it up. I will be harvesting from the nearby stream! Maybe the ultimate organic will be that it is grown IN soil. Thanks for stopping by Tom.

    ReplyDelete