Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Toilet paper, Cities, and the working poor

 There has been a lot of talk about toilet paper.
This article helps solve the issue.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0
And this one helps city dwellers understand why country people find the social distancing of the city like a noose around their neck.
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2020/04/coronavirus-spread-map-city-urban-density-suburbs-rural-data/609394/?fbclid=IwAR1ou2j08FnDCJrsUqp5llgXbjkkf_D04siD-ywcA9hCfBY0Omf-69Npu3I

One of the things I think this article gets wrong is the infection rate at "resort towns". Yes, their permanent population is tiny, but the infection rate often comes from the big city refugees. That is why Delaware had to close their beaches and hotels. Many of the infected in the lower part of our state are people who are escaping the cities. That is true in Idaho (San Fran has invaded) and the New York Catskills (NYC). 

I have one more thought...there is a lot of articles about terrible Christians who gather for prayer.  My own area was shamed into closing down parking lot/in car services. Really? What is the difference between that and golf cart parties in the wealthy back yards? or gathering on porches? As long as people are in cars....  I understand the mega church issues in some areas, but shaming everyone who gathers? I don't really NEED to gather, but it brings some people great comfort (just like the martini on a cart). 

And if we are going to socially distance-- why cannot the working poor have two days off? Shut EVERYTHING two days a week--say Wed and Sunday? Why is it that only the working poor have to be unsafe? At this point, everyone should have a week of food and Amazon deliveries.



5 comments:

  1. I would not gather for prayer. I'm assuming that if a church only allows ten people to attend then all the other church members were turned away which is frighteningly cruel. Now that we know people can carry the virus with no symptoms for up to two weeks I think gathering is insane. If you were only risking your own well being I would agree with you a million percent. But how many people was the one guy who went to church last week in contact with
    Where I live no one is having g golf parties and we sit in our own yards or front porches and visit with guy in the yard over...more than ten feet. This is such a difficult time and I am glad I am not yet in an apartment so I have the back yard and sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think that the risk with car services is that people will not remain in their cars..that the urge to share the piece or whatever will overcome. And personally being in a car would like being in my house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah---but being in my car- seeing a real person- to me is quite different. I am a doubting Thomas in my heart. I need that sight...eyes on. Seems silly in some ways...but it is where I am at in my life.

      Delete
  3. So do people go to church and stay in their cars, like a drive-in movie? I don't see anything wrong with that. In fact, it's kind of a cool idea! But nobody should be encouraging people to gather less than six feet apart, for the public safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people stay in their cars like a drive in movie. They then drive by their pastor for their blessing. Socially distanced---with the car between them.

      Delete