Monday, July 20, 2020

From the retiree point of view - schools ---Part 2

I am a retired teacher
Sixty two
My husband is seventy.

Our friends range in age, but I do have a number of friends who are retired
and I read many, many blogs of retired people.

People are quiet about their real feelings,
but hey, they get their SS and their kids are grown.

I have "heard" all of the things below....

Schools should stay closed
Those children are germ machines
They will infect us all ("Me" is left our because that is selfish. "Me" is implied.)
They will kill their grandparents who care about them.

If schools close, I should not have to pay property taxes.
Teachers should be furloughed and possibly find a new profession.
They are not "working". The computer does the majority of the work and they "check in".
Districts buy programs. Put the money there if you are collecting it.

There has to be someplace to "put" these kids.
I certainly don't want to run over a five year old
on my way to Trader Joe's because their mom and dad are at work.
So maybe we can hire teachers as day care workers?
They can do day care at the empty schools. (This is actually happening at a district in MD.)
I can see that being a good use of my money.

I have even heard the old, "If you didn't want to take care of children,
You should not have had them."

Really? Did the woman's movement not even happen.

I also have friends who still teach, who should be retired.
They are not much different

Kids will get me sick. I have _____________ (name anything) and I will suffer greatly.
I will not be able to hug them or get close to them
so we should not open schools.
Well, maybe two days a week
and we are going to need a day off in between
so four days a week of teaching small groups
BUT no socializing- no food- no cleaning- no singing-no clapping-one way halls- few bathroom breaks---maybe a three hour day....
just the four cores --then "specials" on line.

High school completely on line. Well, maybe we can do video
Just think of how much work those kids could put into the yearbook.

Really, we just should do on line for another year
and I should still make my salary
because I am teaching....sort of.
And Private schools can open, because they are not REAL schools and can be small and have younger teachers....

Just the listener here....think these through.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard all of these comments as well. We've been used to relative peace and order, all our lives, but life is very uncertain these days.

    ReplyDelete