Thursday, April 8, 2021

Woo Hoo Shots and then the rest.

 I got myJ&  shot in 15 minutes at the Delaware Rite Aide yesterday. An elderly man and his great grand daughter had arrived before me.   The elderly man was being  refused- something about his Medicare card. The grand daughter wasn't budging. My ease dropping is greatly hampered by my mask....

I ended up staying an hour.  I did not want to interfere but I felt they were going to give his shot away to the two kids who walked in and asked if there were extra shots.                                                                 The clerk finally told me that I could leave. LOL.                                                                                           I, loudly suggested that the seated man had been there long before me.  I told her that I wasn't going anywhere until this gentleman got his shot. She rolled her eyes and called his name. Sigh. Yes, I am a pain in the butt in many cases....

Let me let you guess the race of the elderly man.                                                                                        My daughter said the same thing happened to her in Maryland! It took an hour to make sure her elderly woman got her shot.  I am thinking of returning tonight to make sure the community gets their vaccines. 

This kind of cr@p happened to Native Americans in the 1970s in Flagstaff.  Come on man!Call me confused.

OTOH....My grandchildren have been out of a school building since last March.

Public schools "opened" the classes up for two days a week in Delaware and Maryland.

 One family faces a district with no guarantee that the schools will stay open even those two days. Those teachers are "sicking out" doing double duty teaching on screen and in class at the same time. The other three days a week are planning days and wiping surface days. (CDC finally admitted that wiping surfaces is unnecessary. Personally, I think using this much Clorox is really bad for the environment. And inhaling those fumes???)

For the other family?  Teachers are in a central room and will be teaching,  via screen, children sitting in a classroom with hired proctors. Okayyyyy. As a teacher of thirty years, that seems like a bit of a problem. 

IN turn, all of my school aged kiddos will remain at home. They WANT to be in school, but the learning going on is mostly a mess with teachers feeling ever bitter . 

Teachers here have been at home until 15 March.  My neighbor (a teacher of many years) stated his faculty took a vote to never return to the high school classrooms. They felt it was so much easier to teach from home. So why, exactly, do we even have high school for the underserved to begin with? 

I get it, people were scared. Half of the states are back at school 4-5 days a week. They are beginning to look for kids who slipped through the cracks. People who have kids in school just don't get it that the ghettos are still out of school....along with the workers for our federal government. Ironic that the districts that have been looked at as failure in the West will soon lead the nation because they put kids in seats. 

OTOH- 

There are now 20,000 children under the age of 18 (self reported) in convention centers and now military bases waiting for foster homes. Have you seen the pictures of kids in mylar blankets?  Sigh. There was a call last week from HHS  that if every state would take 1,000 children the border could get cleared up.                                                                                            And do what with them? They cannot go to school in the Mid Atlantic. Do we really want to be complicit to separating kids-AGAIN? How in the world did this happen? Where are the parents? I just don't understand.

Children are our future.  

I guess I don't have four hands---so I will end there. 

3 comments:

  1. We have hybrid school here in PA, which seems to be working passably well. But boy, oh, boy, the teachers are really putting in extra time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, as a teacher- they belong- full time in school. Hybrid works for people who don't actually have children in school.

      Delete
  2. I am thankful for you and your daughter making sure those ahead got their shots. The rest....SIGH....😟

    ReplyDelete