Saturday, May 29, 2021

Progress on the home front.

 Three weeks before we pack up for the last time!

The last two weeks have been about the things I really care about in our new house.

The inside was painted this week! Colorsnap helped me a lot 

Repose Grey- most of the house

Lupine Island

Gray Screen Master

All the paint samples were given away last week.Yipppppeee. 

Next up is the master bath. I got lots of push back, but the bath is made for old people. 

Entrance is 36 inches.  Wheel in- zero entrance- shower with a large bench to dry off on (or shower on if need be). Right now there is not a tub. It is plumbed, but I am thinking there may never be a tub in there.  This is the current choice of everyone but me---and I am the only one who takes a tub. Pretty sure I'll spend the $1500 on a trip somewhere instead. Let the next person put in their dream tub!



The real push back was modern grab bars. The reality is that you don't need a grab bar until you are on the floor the first time....so get them before you need them. Learned that with my dad. If he had them in his house I doubt he would have been placed in a home so soon.... 


 Our closest is also large. There were many questions about built in shelves or more rods....the reality is that we want to be able to access the room and move around in it long after we are 90. That means space. We don't have hardly any clothes....but we need to be able to get to them without a hassle. They just don't "get" space. 

The guest room has been roughed in for the Murphy bed.  Yes, that was hard to understand as well...but I did get a 9'x7' hole instead of a closet in there. Again, if someone wants something different in ten or twenty years--go for it. This house will be functional for us!

Excitement looms. 

Now we just have to jump through a ton of hoops and get in!

5 comments:

  1. Love your colors, and your color coordination, and I couldn't agree more about the grab bars (and the tub ... who could climb in and out of that thing?!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the tub! I just bought it...bummer. Peer pressure! I could have used the money on a great few days on the beach. More water would be on me there then will ever be on me in a stand alone tub!

      Delete
  2. You are so wise to build for aging in place.. and making your home YOURS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zero-entry shower sounds like heaven to me! Can you cap off the tub plumbing and build a useful, accessible cabinet over the space?

    Your new home is lovely! I completely understand the "space" issue. When you have to maneuver with a walker or standard or motorized wheelchair, the word has an entirely new meaning! Convincing a non-universal builder of that can be challenging.

    I've enjoyed your blog for some time. Not sure how I found it--wandered in from one of your comments on another blog (or several) that I read. Not really involved in the blogosphere, but appreciate the work of those who post regularly. :-)


    ...Taja (in Arizona)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am slow to respond. Happy you stopped by!

      Delete