Monday, January 3, 2022

Winter begins in earnest

I grew up in heat.
All of my memories of childhood were hot feet or flip flops.
Dust storms would come in the summer to 
Break off our kick the can games 
With our neighbors from every part of the country.
Picking oranges off the trees
Or pecans from the pavement
Was what we daily enjoyed.

My sophomore year of college
I was commuting to ASU 
In a convertible
With the top down. 
My mother does not remember,
She remembers little of her middle of five,
I had a sun stroke.
I laid in bed for many hours alternating from shivering to sweating.
And that was the day I decided I would never live in the heat again.

Life has a funny way of turning on never.
For the next dry heat I lived in was Saudi Arabia.
Things went bad there as well.

We moved and moved again
And I learned all about winter
110 inches in the outskirts of Flagstaff
Sleet and snow in Kansas
Wet bay snow in Delaware

People ask what is my season
I really enjoy them all
But winter 
I love to watch

Quiet
Beautiful
Slow moving
Life bringing
Winter





 

No comments:

Post a Comment