Sunday, March 22, 2020

Lessons in moving in slow motion


In 1903 my great grandfather left St Louis for Chicago.
TB had taken his wife and youngest child.
He lived with his brother until he remarried 
and moved his family to a good "shelter in place" area, 
named Phoenix, in 1907.
He lived with TB for 30 more years.
"Dad" had been a business man,
then a grocer, and last
he became a poultry farmer.

In 1996 this was my husband's building.
We went into "shelter in place" for two full months. 
Then we lived with "move cautiously" for three more months.
We learned to make due. No more playing in the pool or going to the shops. 
Venturing out was guarded and for necessities only.
We only got out to go camping, around friends, in the middle of the Saudi desert.

The first event meant nothing to me
Until I lived the second event.
Never was I "caught short" again.
I listened and heeded warnings
even if they were false.
The PTSD has been very strong.

But, what I had forgotten is the other things I learned.
Surprisingly, they are emerging again.
Some learned to bond together.
Stop blaming.
Make sure everyone had what they needed (not wanted)
Limit outside contact while providing a great education for the kids.
Learn to stroll, not walk, the street.
Watch the sunset.
Read scripture.
Wear gloves.

And I learned to garden.
Very small in the past
Growing larger every season.

We learned to find local sources for eggs and milk

and just breathe. 

It was hard to get through the denial and anger stages.
Our way of life was gone.
But there is peace in acceptance.

And now we are busy 
keeping connections.


 And love on our doggies. 

We are children of the world. 
We can endure almost anything.
Be at peace.
It is a wave.
Socially distance and breathe.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I needed to read this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete